• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Hmm, resting pulse rate a little high, advice?

indelibleface

Bluelight Crew
I was at the doctor's yesterday, and she measured my blood pressure as being a little high. Even today, I've measured my pulse rate twice while laying on my bed, before doing anything remotely strenuous--the first time, it measured at slightly over 90, and the second time was around 105. I'm pretty sure it's not always this fast, and it might be an anomaly. I don't know. I'm getting blood work done next Thursday.

Some background:

• I'm 23 years old, I weigh 138 pounds, and I'm 5'8" tall.
  • It's been a week and a half or so since I quit tramadol--I was taking it for about four months. About five months before that, I had taken it for a year and quit. This time, it's for good, since I've finally realized the bad effects very much outweigh the positive effects.
  • I haven't been exercising much--I've gotten a bit of chronic fatigue from the lack of tramadol, which should go away with time. Also, I've had some back problems after sleeping on bad mattresses (air mattresses!) for the past year. I'm sleeping on a good mattress now, and I'm doing stretches daily, so that should help. It's kept me from being completely mobile.
  • I've had problems with anxiety starting around four or five years ago when I did meth for a few months. Blood work taken after my isolated meth binges was negative for any damage, but I've had lingering anxiety ever since. There might have been damage that wasn't tested for, but that's just my uneducated guess/fear. I haven't taken meth since, and I won't again.
  • My diet hasn't been all that great. I tend to eat a lot of fast food--I do supplement with lots of vitamin rich things, but that doesn't negate the fatty foods or cholesterol I'm probably taking in too. I don't drink or eat many dairy products, but I do tend to eat a lot of burgers and fries. It's hard when I'm at work--there's not much else nearby. I'm actually pretty skinny, but I've heard of skinny people with high cholesterol.

So, I'm thinking, there's probably a few possible causes:
  • High cholesterol levels? Possible. The blood work next week should let me know.
  • Anxiety issues? I guess this is possible.
  • Opiate withdrawal? This is what I'm hoping it is. It's been a week and a half, and I feel more or less okay. But, my hands still tremor a little. That symptom in of itself might be evident of something else.
  • Thyroid issues? Again, maybe the blood work will find out. I had similar problems two years ago, and the tests for thyroid irregularities came back negative. Maybe it's different now?

Anyway, my visit to the doctor next week should be enlightening on this issue. In the meantime, I suppose I'm just looking for some general advice on what I can do. I've never been one to exercise regularly, especially since I've always had that <5% body fat body type (exceptionally lanky), so I never perceived it as necessary. However, I'm open to exercising--what kinds of exercise would be good for me? What kinds of foods should I be eating? I know that many fast food chains sell salads. Furthermore, I've often thought about switching to vegetarianism. I'm aware of how one needs to supplement their diet to get the required nutrients while on a no-meat diet, but perhaps I'm not one-hundred percent clear.

I'm trying not to ask a bazillion questions that I could probably look up if I tried. Mostly, I'm just looking for general advice here. I hate feeling unhealthy. No more drugs to make me happy anymore. I've made the transformation into healthy Inedible now. Or...well...I'm almost there. Help? :|

Okay, just used an actual blood pressure machine, since it turns out my Grandma had one laying around.

My current BPM is 144/77, 105BPM. Well, that's just marvelous. 8)

i was gonna say, high pulse in absence of high BP is only ambiguously concerning.
hmmm...my 'pro' cyclist friend claims that everyone has a partly genetically determined range for their pulse rate during intensive cardio, and this rate isn't really indicative of anything. I don't think that this extends to resting pulse though.

Looking at the table of risks here, I would say that anxiety is likely the primary culprit. Whenever I get my BP assessed at the doctor's, my pulse is 10-20 BPM above normal (~74 BPM), BP at like 140ish/something. I've measured my resting pulse at 56 BPM at home....anxiety fucks it all up. :)

So what to do in the interim:

Consider getting into a cardio regimen, but with your doctor's guidance. There is a reason that X-country runners tend to have bizarrely low pulse-rates (getcha self a strong heart...literally).

Why doctor's guidance? Well, your situation's a tad odd. EG, my dad developed a heart arrhythmia, an example of a secondary symptom being his pulse spiking to 140 after driving through stressful traffic and then climbing 2 flights of stairs this one time (he also has comorbid high blood pressure). Quite disconcerting, to say the least...so he was advised that it would be dangerous for him to continue mountain biking until his condition stabilizes (which it mostly has). (cool story, ebrola! ;))

Diet:
Well, yeah. :) Why try to focus on varied fruits and veggies, low-glycemic index grains, and lean proteins (and yeah, those 'good fats' too)? I don't think that a veggo diet would help more than the above. However, a well or even competently varied veggo diet needs not supplements (well, v-guns need b-12, obviously).

You could try reducing salt intake (particularly those containing a sodium ion)...but the effectiveness varies a lot between people.

Diet + exercise:
You'll have to ratchet up caloric intake for this to work out well. Anorexia can be profoundly cardiotoxic, but you're just skinny :).

Misc:
Why not IV coke and mephedrone in the same syringe? ;)

I dunno why I'm advising you on this. I think that you know more here. :)

ebola

Actually, I think I'm going to blame you for the insidious and permanent heart damage caused by you turning me on to propylhexedrine, you psychopathic heathen and your incessant "Everyone's doing it, man. Come on, don't be a pussy, " comments. 8)

All kidding aside, I thank you for your advice. Helps me relax a little.

My mother, who is an RN, told me I'm fine, and I'm just freaking myself out. I'm young. It's not that bad.

I'm actually considering going full vegetarian, or at least, pescatarian. I've been meaning to make the switch one way or another, and I can't think of a better time than now. Yay for going healthy, and stuff!

If you excercise your cardiovascular system your cardiovascular health will improve.

just starve yourself

being hungry never killed anyone...

the less you eat the lower your blood pressure ~(obviously depending on drink, drugs, lifestyle etc) but in general I do a 2day fast once every couple of months and I feel so light headed sometimes I fall down when I stand up too quick.
This is due to low blood pressure

You need to start cardio for about an hour a day. Over time your resting heart rate will go down. You're young.